Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Big O

Like a school girl I anticipated the night. There is much to prepare. It has been so long since I needed to worry about the small details. You know, the ones giving sparkle to an expected magical night. I calculated everything. I trusted my heart. I was finally ready.

Let me regress.

Mom and I had the talk. Over-and-over she assured me I could not be in safer hands. It was important I trust. Awakening what is there. I would be cared for. A beautiful experience waits. One I was assured to be forever precious. The mental strain is intense. Yet I commit.

It is going to be my first time.

I adore being dressed up. If ever there is an occasion to doll up and get my pretty on this is it. I marched into Nordstrom purchasing five dresses. I use my living room as a runway. After a one-on-one consultation every single one returned. There is not a keeper in the bunch.

I ask Mom to join me in returning to the drawing board. Together we dive in choosing an ink colored dress. It is form fitting in all the “right” places. I really want a dress knee length to compliment the three inch silver/gold glitter heals. Two words: Irresistible and swanky. Pretty much damn hot. I am in LOVE with these heals.  

Next to choose is jewelry. Dress for a wedding. What to wear? I want to shine, but not be overdone. I need a necklace not one cutting off my neckline. If it is to long my perkiness will swallow it up. How will I wear my hair? If it is up the dangle is important. And I wear it down will my hair fall over my face or tangle in swinging earrings? The considerations are endless.

I cannot start in on the unmentionables dilemma.

This covers the background.

I count down the days. It is as if it would never arrive. I basically quit sleeping. Soon enough there will be time to cozy up into bed. As days will do it arrives right on schedule. I am a bundle of worry questioning my preparedness. I go forward in my daily routine. A couple weeks prior I arranged to have a hair appointment. The purpose was to kill two birds with one stone: keep me busy as well as create beautiful.

Forty-five minutes later beauty is accomplished. I chose a swept up style. It is a solid compromise of put together and tousled. If it falls from place it will seem fitting. A lady needs ready for mishaps. Together the dress, hair, makeup, jewelry and heals is alluring. I accomplish the underlying goal. A sophisticated woman (me for one night) on the outside can be muddled on the inside. We stand guard.

It is time.

It is 5:30. We meet. The butterflies start fluttering. Palms are sticky. Mouth is dry. Holy shit! What am I doing? Here I am. Here I will stay until the end. The single thought getting me through is I will finally do it. Finally! It will no longer be hope, but reality. I will leave new and different from when I came. Really, it is thrilling. It is a tease all night.

It is 8:15. I go into the room earlier than expected. It is dark. I mean really dark. There are curtains hiding the space. I am shaking. Repeatedly, I ask myself not to hyperventilate. If ever there is a time not to lose my shit it is now. Everyone says it is in and out. I take comfort in this knowledge that completion from start to finish will not take long. A calmness takes over. 

It is finally the moment. I hope it is not an out of body experience. I do not want to be outside looking in. I want to be present.

The lighting is perfect. I can hardly see past a few feet. The silence makes my heart race. I try holding back tears. I wonder if what I said was clear? All in all, I held it together. Together as in meaning I did not pack it in leaving in the middle. My worst fear!

I could hardly believe it. It is beyond anything I imagined. I had the Big O.

They stood. They clapped. The noise grew in number. I am able to see over the lights enough to make out caring wonderful human beings. I trusted turning over my story to Listen To Your Mother. It was supreme magic.

Tonight changed me. I am braver. In seven minutes all I have been working for arrived: The Open Balance. I felt honored to share freely with strangers and those who came to support little ole me. A night we will not soon forget. Trust me The Big O is transforming.



This is show biz, people.


I left Alberta Rose Theater with a blaze of fire.
I am a story teller. I can call myself a writer. I am found.
I give Listen To Your Mother its very own Big O.
I hope it was as good for you as it was for me.
Thank you, Portland. It was in a word: exquisite.

2 comments:

  1. You were elegance, you shined like you were a diamond amongst the most perfect setting.The crowd ; mesmerized by your every word and when you were done ? Magic was in the air as so many women rose up in standing ovation to give you the best compliment for such a job well done. You changed the audience Nicole! I could see those who saw themselves in you, those that could relate ,and after the awesome standing ovation, 10 or so women as well as myself- ran in a cluster of tears trying to be first one to rest room.For your words brought out something that I believe many of us had either kept secret ourself,or buried it down deep and it finally was brought to the surface.I can imagine this show was very healing for you Cole, but You also helped many, many others in that room.You were brave ,you were real, you were raw, and most of us who hid behind our lives ..are not able to do that anymore after that night..You touched something .something that will help many , by you sharing your life with all.You are such an amazing peŕson Nicole.I love you with all my heart.Always have and always will.And I'm so proud of you,for All you do, and share with others!! This show was a turning point for me...in many ways.Thank you for doing this show and Im grateful I got to watch you and the other amazing women in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were elegance, you shined like you were a diamond amongst the most perfect setting.The crowd ; mesmerized by your every word and when you were done ? Magic was in the air as so many women rose up in standing ovation to give you the best compliment for such a job well done. You changed the audience Nicole! I could see those who saw themselves in you, those that could relate ,and after the awesome standing ovation, 10 or so women as well as myself- ran in a cluster of tears trying to be first one to rest room.For your words brought out something that I believe many of us had either kept secret ourself,or buried it down deep and it finally was brought to the surface.I can imagine this show was very healing for you Cole, but You also helped many, many others in that room.You were brave ,you were real, you were raw, and most of us who hid behind our lives ..are not able to do that anymore after that night..You touched something .something that will help many , by you sharing your life with all.You are such an amazing peŕson Nicole.I love you with all my heart.Always have and always will.And I'm so proud of you,for All you do, and share with others!! This show was a turning point for me...in many ways.Thank you for doing this show and Im grateful I got to watch you and the other amazing women in the show.

    ReplyDelete